Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why do parents choose baby names from the 'top most popular' lists?

My daughter is now five years old and after having been in numerous baby classes, kids activities, preschool over the years---it always seems as if there are five Emilys, three Dylans, four Kaitlyns (or variations of that name), four Nicholas's---well, you get it: in every class there are numerous children with the same name and I've never been able to fathom why a parent would want their child to have the same name as everyone else? Just curious.|||I assume because the parents like those names. That is what makes them so popular.


Besides, no kid needs to go through life being called Kadeesha or Homer..... Parents need to not be selfish when naming their children. It is a complete disservice to the child to name them something ridiculous. Just years of torture for the child.....|||Having the name Ashley..Trust I know how that feels..I made sure my kids had names that they most likely will be the only one in the class with..My son starts kindergarden in Sept..It's going to be interesting to see how many Aiden's and Jayden's,etc there are in his class..But I AGREE with you!!|||When I was in first grade, I was the only boy in the class who had a unique name. There were two Jasons, two Adams, two Kyles, two Seans, a David, a Dave, and Christian (me). Everyone went by first name + last initial except for me. Christian is easy to spell, it's traditional, not too stodgy, and it was the 119th most common name the year I was born, so it's not 'weird'. And yet I was the only Christian in the entire school system the whole time I was there. (I did meet another guy named Christian at camp one year.)





So you don't have to travel too far away from Brayden and Kaitlin (or Jason and Jennifer from my era, or Gary and Linda from my parents' era) to get a name that will let your kid be unique without being a freak. (Well, I was a freak, but not because of the name, anyway.)|||I am not a fan of that as well. I have a daughter Mercedes and I am thrilled that in her kindergarten class there is not three of them. People that are rude and obnoxiuos will joke around and say "Mercedes Benz" but its better than saying "Emily" and 5 girls turn around.





I think people are scared of thinking out-of-the-box. Or being judged for some uniqueness.|||exactlyyy, I totally get what your saying and ever since i was 5 i have vowed to name my kid something beautiful and unique and mayb a little unusual.|||For some people, it might be a family name, or to honor someone in the family. My hubby and I went for something very unusual...I don't think there is anyone else in the world with my son's name. We put the "common" family names in his middle name.|||That is quite normal. People use to ask friends and relatives what name they suggest for their newborn, they say four or five most popular names they have lately heard and make suggestions, after having heard some of these names many times, they say I like Karla, and after 20 years you find that many, many girls the same age have Karla for name.|||I wish I knew why too!! I try to come up with different names but I get comments that its too hard to spell or she will be teased. My daughter has the only name that I have yet to find another child in her school with it, Arienne pronounced Air-re-in. In her class she has 2 Ashly's 3 Johns. I like all names, just don't want 20 other kids in her grade having them same name|||I don't know someone should ask my mother that question. I was born in the early 80's my first name is Jennifer and my middle name is Ann. Jennifer was the #1most popular first name the year I was born, and Ann was the #2 most popular middle name. When I was in school there were always tons of other Jennifers 6 in my third grade class so I always had to go by Jennifer C. the brown haired one (there was even another Jennifer Ann C. luckily she was a blond). Lol I hated it. Which is why I tried to give my babies unique names that meant something special to me.|||My first born is Kaitlin; I'd never heard of it, found it in a novel 7 years before I had her. Found out after that it is one of the top names of the 90's. Life goes on. Better than naming her something moronic.|||I asked this a while ago and people were about to kill me!!! I totally agree with you, though. You don't have to be wacky or weird to name your child something that isn't that common. My friend named her son Jacob KNOWING it was the #1 name the year before. I don't get it at all. The ONLY reason I can see to use such overused names is if it is a family name or a part of a tradition to honor a family member. I don't like wacky names or oddly spelled names, but come on people - aren't there enough Kaitylns and Madisons and Aidans now????|||I don't think that parents intentionally choose names from a 'most popular' list, they just choose names that they like and are familiar with and it so happens that some other parents in the same area do the same thing and... hey presto! Their kids end up in the same class. You really can't tell with some 'popular' names whether or not they're going to 'take off' or not. I like the name Sienna because when I first heard it, it was quite unique, but now it's becoming quite popular. Same with 'Liam' (an Irish name which I don't think is very popular in the US?). There are 6 Liams in the junior level of my school this year!





I'm a teacher and one year I had 4 Matthews in the one class (luckily they all had surnames starting with different letters!) which does make things tricky, but you get used to it! There are 5 Toms in the upper level this year, but they're in 5 different classes, so it's not an issue. My uncle was one of 6 Peters in his first year of school! Crazy!|||I don't know. Most people are sheep.





My daughter is the only Julia at her school, but I'm starting to hear it more often now. I guess it's trends.|||They want to be like everyone else, they were the people in high school who tried to hard to be someone they weren't...|||you know what I am so tired of people thinking they should sit and judge what other people pick to name their kids! Who cares!? Its life, its happened before and it'll happen many times more, live your life, stop staring down your nose at other peoples choices and get a life!|||People want to be like sheep and follow the herd. Apparently some people have no sense of identity.|||It's easier to follow the herd. NoOne wants their child to be made fun of.. especially for having a name that they had no choice over so why not pick what is common? It ensures a childhood free of name teasing.|||They obviously love the names. They are old fashoined names that never go out of style. My daughters name is Hayleigh and though it is a pretty common name I am still to find another Hayleigh with the same spelling!.|||I have no idea, I cannot stand a name on the top baby list... it's like people have no flavor in their lives or something!|||They want their baby to "fit in" with the world.|||I DUNNO - totally interested in seeing answers to this.





I have a friend who needed the aid of 3 baby name books to come up with Nicholas and James ........... Doesn't get anymore overused or common than those two names.|||Well everyone wants their kid to have the 'best name' anyone can have, so that's why they try to find the most popular. Me personally, I like these names and not all of them are well known, but they are all pretty.


Neramani, Aspen, Jean, Nevaeh, Maia, Misty, Emma, Violet, Felicia, Famke, Niobe,GWENAè„£LLE, Natsume, Melody, Phoebe or Cascade|||I am naming my children Meesha and Jakub just to be different|||Most just like the name. They aren't intentionally naming their child from the top name lists. My daughter's name is Chloe. I chose it simply because it sounded better with my last name than my other choices and because I've always liked the name.|||i'm not sure y either. maybe it's just that parents want their children to fit in w/ every1 else, a little TOO much don't u think? or mayb these names r just too common as family names. in my class, there are 6 katelyns!!!


so i decided to change my name when i go 2 class,


any suggestions to that?:/|||i geuss parents worry that if they give their kids an uncommon name then the kids might not fit in or feel stigmatized for having an unusually name.





there was actually a chapter about this in that book freakonomics. and the authors of that book came to the conclusion that certain baby names being so common was a mix of peer pressure the parents felt and them wanting to give kids names that would help them fit in when they started school.





hope that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment