Wednesday, February 15, 2012

About the top 100 baby names?

Mason is on the top 100 boy names butyou hardly ever hear that name so I don;t understand why it's on there, and it is the same with other names.





Why is this name on there and others if they really are not that common?


Do you like the name Mason?|||I do like the name Mason. There are a couple of reasons why you may not hear it often, even if it's in the top 100.





One reason is that the current list of top 100 names is for babies born in 2006. Most people you know were probably born much earlier than 2006. If a name was less popular in previous years, then you won't know very many adults or even school-aged children with that name. However, in 20 years or so, there will be a good number of adults named Mason running around. (Mason is currently ranked #39. Thirty years ago, however, it was ranked #497. That means that you won't run across too many thirty-year-olds named Mason. There are, however, a fair number of one-year-olds with that name.)





Another thing to consider is that, even though it is in the top 100 baby names, only .4771% of baby boys born in 2006 were actually given that name. Even if we round that number up to .5% for the sake of easy calculations, that would mean that only one in 200 baby boys would be named Mason. Since baby boys make up approximately half the total number of births, then only one in 400 babies would be named Mason. When your chances of encountering a baby named Mason are 1/400, it is not surprising that it doesn't seem very common!|||I have only heard of one Mason being born last year, and that's my neighbors son. I think it's actually a really endearing name, and he has such a sweet personality to match. But the names are what are registered with the SSA, so they have the nice fat book, I guess in some parts names are bigger in certain areas! And honestly, I say the same thing about the name Abigail for the top 10 list for girls, I haven't heard of ANY Abigails.. that might just be in my area though...|||not much|||There can be a lot of regional differences in naming trends. When you look at the Top 100 list, it is a ranking of all of the baby names given in the US for that year, but there can be wide differences from state to state, city to city, and even suburb to suburb.





This is a rather addictive site, and it will break it down by state, city, or even hospital, giving you the top boy and girl names for babies born in the specific area you choose. Browse around a bit, and you will see how much variation there can be from one town to the next:





http://www.our365.com/Wisdom/BabyNameSca鈥?/a>|||Yes I like this name. It is interesting and sound cool.|||A lot of people on Yahoo Answers want to name their son Mason.|||I wanted to call one of my son's Mason. Unfortunately it is horrible with my Husbands last name.|||Mason was my Uncle's name He was a Norwegian Sailor.


Mason means stone cutter or builds with stone or brick





I like this name|||It is a very pretty name!! I like Krishna Das better tho...|||I've heard it. A name is just as common as the list suggests, given that different spellings are considered different names. 0.4771% of boys born in 2006 were named Mason. Maybe that's why you don't meet many. Even the most popular names aren't all that common.|||We are naming our son Mason. I didn't like it at first but my husband did. It makes me think of a mason jar and what would a nickname be....mace? But it is starting to grow on me a lot and I think that with us both being artists and enjoying crafts that it makes sense that he could very well end up becoming a stone sculptor or working with stone which is what the name means.

No comments:

Post a Comment